Burton's Snake Lizard at Jarowair 27/09/14

This Burton's Snake Lizard (Lialis burtonis) is the first one that we have seen ourselves at Jarowair.  Brendon spotted it at night while turning off the bore-water pump and we were able to get a good look at it and take some photos. This one was approximately 60cm long.

The Burton's Snake Lizard has the misfortune for being mistaken for a brown snake.  It is however, instantly recognizable due to it's pointed wedge-shaped snout, that is different to any other Australian reptile.   This beautiful creature lives beneath rocks, logs or low vegetation, mainly in bushland and it's diet consists solely of lizards.

Brendon's Mum and Step-Dad saw a Burton's Snake Lizard here many years ago when they were staying in their caravan in the shed, when it slithered into the shed late one afternoon.  They took photos of it and until now, the only other one I have come across is a dead one on our road which was a short time after the first sighting.

The best days are when we see something new here.

J & B

Burton's Snake Lizard (Lialis burtonis) at Jarowair 27th September 2014

Burtons Snake Lizard (Lialis burtonis) 27/09/14


Comments

  1. Wonderful creature! You are lucky to see it! I've only ever seen one. I would have been around ten years old, walking with my parents and sister around Fingal Head in NSW. I looked down on the ground near my feet and saw a reptile slithering by. Like a flash I reached down and caught it, identifying it as a Snake Lizard and showing my parents. My Dad was not impressed though - he'd sussed out that I'd grabbed it and THEN made the ID, rather than the other way around, and was worried I would've done the same with a genuine snake.. Ahh the confidence of youth, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christian for your comments and for sharing your experiences with this beautiful reptile. Luckily for you it all worked out well! I hope you get to see one again, we were thrilled to see this one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Jarowair Our Patch - your feedback is much appreciated. Please Subscribe to us on youtube or follow the #jarowairourpatch tag on Instagram. Kind Regards, Judi & Brendon