Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Return of the Pacific Baza's

We were on our way out for the afternoon when Brendon spotted at least three Pacific Baza's (Aviceda subcristata) (aka Crested Hawk's) in a group of ironbark trees at our patch.  We have not witnessed them here for almost four years (see previous posts here), although we have seen them within a few kilometers of home.  These are some of the many photos I took before we had to rush off.  I couldn't decide which one I like the best, so have added a few. They are such a beautiful bird and so very quiet.  I noticed this time that often launch themselves into thick foliage with their wings out and land awkwardly on a branch.  I have looked this up and apparently they sometimes they crash into the foliage, presumably to disturb their prey. Hope they stay around and we see them more often.

B & J.

(Information source:  www.wiresnr.org)

Pacific Baza's at Jarowair 25/05/14







This is photo of the awkward landing in which they launch themselves into the tree foliage. 


Linking with Wild Bird Wednesday 16/07/14

7 comments:

  1. wow! what a beautiful bird! thanks for coming by, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I agree - it is beautiful -shame it wouldn't go into the sun more for some even clear photos, but I can't complain - happy just to see them here! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Terrific to see this bird and your photos are great. I especially like the first one with the patterning on the under-wing so clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick for your comment. I love the patterns on this beautiful bird also.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, Judith! These are fantastic images. I have only ever seen one of these and only just recently at Lake Samsonvale, just north of Brisbane. It was being annoyed by a few Noisy Miners. I only managed about one shot as it wasnt able to sit still on the branch and was up way too high.

    Thanks for your visit to my blog. I am now following you so I can enjoy your images.
    The Black-shouldered Kite was eating a rat it captured in a nearby field. I wish I had

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting Judith; on the one occasion when I spotted P.B. in the bushland, I observed that same crashing in the dense foliages

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful captures of this Crested Hawk,... a beauful bird!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Jarowair Our Patch - your feedback is much appreciated, Kind Regards, Judi & Brendon