Squirrel Gliders are Living in the Nesting Boxes! 15/07/12

At around 5.50pm this afternoon I went for a walk around our property at Jarowair, as I looked up at a nesting box in the "Koala Tree" and saw the head of a squirrel glider emerging from the hole!  This nesting box is the first one that I ever made & installed at Jarowair.  I raced up to the house to get the camera and Jude and I raced back but unfortunately the glider was no longer at the entrance hole.

A little dissapointed that I missed the photo op, I was thrilled that to actually get confirmation of the gliders using one of the boxes that I had created.  I walked on to the next nesting box and to my surprise, looked up to see another squirrel glider's head poking out from the hole!!!  This nesting box was only installed less than 12 months ago see previous post:  http://jarowairourpatch.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/firewood-nesting-boxes-210811.html

I managed a couple of photos despite the day getting dark! 

B.G.


Comments

  1. Fantastic! You must be very proud. I read your link and wondered if you ever got to count the nest boxes on your property?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, yes it was very exciting! We did a count and Brendon has made and installed 15 nesting boxes here, plus he has also placed a few hollow logs up in amongst tree branches as well.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful thing. Finally something good of man-made materials in trees. I have only ever seen one of these gliders in my life. I hope they make many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is very rewarding! So much damage has been done to our little patch of land by man in the past, it's so great to see our efforts helping somewhat! The squirrel gliders are magnificent to watch just on dark when they emerge from a huge iron ark tree down the back, we often just sit down and wait to see them glide off from the tree, it's an amazing sight!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Jarowair Our Patch - your feedback is much appreciated. Please Subscribe to us on youtube or follow the #jarowairourpatch tag on Instagram. Kind Regards, Judi & Brendon